Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Boy Scout Cook Set Revisited!

A wile back,(few years ago) I was at an Antique store and came across An old Boy Scout Cook Set. Now most of the time I just ignore these cook sets because they seem to be everywhere! This one was different thou. I picked it up and right away I could tell this thing was heavy. Not your normal all aluminum BSCS, no this thing had some heft to it! After inspecting it and being very happy with my find, I purchased it. I want to say $20 or less! It was a deal!




I got it home and inspected it some more. The frying pan is made out of steel and the pot, pot lid, bowl and cup are made out of very thick aluminum! Man this thing is built like a tank! Not the greatest for saving weight but will hold up forever! Also you can put the pan directly on open flames and don't have to worry about it. I think the steel also makes for a better non stick surface, but I could be wrong. So far in my limited tested I have found some sticking occurs, but not that bad and clean up has been easy. On the cool factor scale this thing scores a 10 out of 10!


I took this thing out a couple of times and played with it. I have used it as a dutch oven even. Put my food in the pan, bowl on top, lock the handle in place and set it in the fire with coals on top and bottom. Worked awesome! Made bannok this way as well. The frying pan is really good. Well seasoned, it almost works like cast iron. The pot itself is a good size for one person. Holds enough water to make a couple cups of coffee or some ramen noodles. The bowl also makes for a good, well, bowl! I have use it to eat out of several times.

My last outing, link, I decided to take this thing out again. I got away from it for a wile and wanted to give it another try. Most of the time I take my canteen cup with stove and my Moras pot. Both of these have served me well but I have been missing a frying pan for a long time. Sometimes I like to eat other stuff besides dehydrated food. After this last outing, I think I am going to make this thing a permanent part of my kit. I feel in love all over again. These pictures shows some awesome bacon and corn beef hash cooking up for breakfast! Man it was good!




This last picture is a comparison of the cook sets I mentioned.




Thanks for looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment